Procedural Terrain Generation with Unity Free Download
Programming realistic environments with C# through the algorithmic manipulation of mesh and vegetation data.
What you’ll learn
- Use various algorithmic approaches to create procedurally generated content.
Manipulated terrain meshes with code to create realistic looking landscapes.
Texture terrain meshes procedurally.
- Discuss the design principles involved in producing aesthetically pleasing terrains.
- Manipulate the render settings in Unity to produce better looking camera results.
- Create custom Unity windows and graphical user interface elements for use inside the Editor.
- You should be familiar with C# and the Unity Game Development Engine.
- You should have a healthy respect for mathematics.
- You should be fascinated by procedural generation and what it can accomplish.
The creation of beautiful virtual terrains isn’t just the domain of the artist but also of the programmer. What if you could use your programming skills in C# to manipulate a mesh to create realistic landscapes using algorithms developed by researchers studying landscape formation and erosion? Well now you can.
In this course, Penny introduces procedural terrain generation techniques using her internationally acclaimed holistic teaching style and expertise from over 25 years of teaching, research and work in games and computer graphics. Through-out the course you will follow along with hands-on workshops designed to teach you the fundamental techniques used for generating realistic virtual landscapes.
Learn how to program and work with:
- Voronoi Tessellation
- Midpoint Displacement
- Perlin Noise
- Splat Maps
- Trees and Vegetation
- and water.
Contents and Overview
The course begins by examining the nature of a landscape and the design considerations you should include in making decisions on structure, colour and vegetation. You’ll learn what makes for a natural looking terrain so you can replicate this in Unity.